When you are working to develop an advertisement, website or other design piece you may need to call upon the work of graphic designers in Sausalito, CA to help you with the design process. While may people dabble in this type of work, you want to make sure you hire a professional graphic designer that is qualified to complete the job you have in mind. Here are some qualities to look for:
- Education and training: When you’re looking to hire graphic designers in Sausalito, CA, you first want to look at their education and training. This will make the difference between selecting a novice and an experienced candidate. Trained graphic designers will have a formal degree in graphic design or a closely related field, such as web design, photography or illustration. There are more than 300 schools in the U.S. that offer accredited graphic design programs with degrees ranging from associate degrees to the rare Ph.D. Selecting a graphic designer from one of these schools will ensure you are getting a well-trained professional.
- Portfolio: Looking at the portfolio of a candidate that you are thinking of hiring will give you a good idea of the skill level and ability of the graphic designer. Portfolios are collections of work that graphic designers in Sausalito, CA have completed during their professional careers. This will give you a good indication of the range of work the graphic designer has accomplished and a strong sense of their skill set.
- Skill level: While you may have gotten a good idea as to the skill level of a graphic designer, some design skills can’t be taught as easily, and are more ingrained. Skills such as an eye for design may simply come naturally to some designers. You will also want a graphic designer who is a good listener, as they will have to take direction and realize your vision by listening to you. Communication is also key to successful graphic designers, as they will have to work in groups and be creative in their problem solving and solutions.
- Different mediums: Depending on your project, graphic designers in Sausalito, CA will have to work on a variety of different mediums. They should know what works best for each and what doesn’t, whether it is video, print or online media. They should have experience in a range of different graphic design mediums, especially the one your project is focused on.
- Technology: Look for a graphic designer that is up to date on the latest graphic design technologies. They should have experience with Macs and PCs and know a variety of design software such as InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. They should also be familiar with using cameras, scanners and printers, which are all key parts of the graphic design process.
- Associations: Choose a graphic designer that has a membership in a professional association. This shows that they value their talents, are looking to learn more about their field and network with individuals in their industry. Some graphic design associations to consider are the Visual Media Alliance, the American Institute of Graphic Arts and the Graphic Artist Guild.
If you keep these tips in mind when looking for graphic designers in Sausalito, CA, you will be sure to hire a talented and experienced designer that will be able to design your project to your exact specifications. Contact Joanne’s Print Shop for a range of graphic design services that will help your design concept shine through to the final printed product.