Offset printing is the most common form of printing that you see on a day-to-day basis. It is used in a variety of everyday printed materials and is considered the gold standard in printing. Offset printing in Sausalito, CA is the most conventional flat printing technique used today, but it is not commonly understood by the larger population. Here’s a breakdown of the process:
- Metal plate to print: In layman’s terms, offset printing is when ink is transferred from a metal plate to a rubber blanket and then back to the printing surface. It relies on the press operator to achieve the desired outcome of the printed piece.
- Converted files: Electronic files must be converted from RGB (red, green, blue) to CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) in order to print offset. From the converted file, a proof is made, and once approved, the job moves to plating. Metal plates are essentially hung on the press. There is one plate for each color of the CMYK file to make the four-color process.
- Paper stock: Once printed, the paper stock on which the printed image will appear is cut to the size of the press on which it is being run. A press run can take as little as 30 minutes or as long as multiple days, depending on the scope and size of the job.
- Time for binding: Once the press run is complete, binding occurs. This includes die cutting, scoring, stamping, numbering, folding and stitching the print job. This happens once the ink has dried on the paper and before it is ready for delivery.
Offset printing in Sausalito, CA is used in a variety of printed materials. Here’s a look at some of the most common results of the process:
- Everyday newspapers: One of the most widely seen examples of offset printing is in newspapers. Because of the great speed of offset printing, high volumes of newspapers can be generated every day.
- Books: Books are another example of offset printing. Whether it is a book used in education or one read simply for entertainment, offset printing helps to make books affordable to the masses.
- Legal and financial industries: Offset printing in Sausalito, CA, is also used in the legal and financial industries. Legal forms and documents are printed offset, making up their large volume of work. Financial documents are also printed using this method, helping businesses to continue to run smoothly.
- Marketing materials: Marketing and advertising is a large sector that makes considerable use of offset printing. This industry prints flyers, brochures, public relations material, advertisements and a series of other marketing materials this way.
- Everyday items: You will also see offset printing used in direct mail postcards, business cards, brochures, pocket folders, signage, greeting cards and stationery. More than likely, most printed pieces are the result of offset printing in Sausalito, CA and elsewhere.
Next time you are looking at a printed piece, it most likely has been offset printed. Joanne’s Print Shop offers offset printing as well as a full range of other printing, copying and graphic design services. When you need a job printed, contact Joanne’s Print Shop. We’d be glad to take it on!